For the first post of 2011, I want to share with you some of the things I hope to accomplish. In no particular order:
- Study for the GRE and/or LSAT
- All throughout my undergrad I would tell anybody who would listen that I wanted to be a lawyer. Then I graduated and suddenly felt less sure about what I wanted to accomplish with my life. I knew I wanted to continue my education, but I wasn't sure where. For most of 2010, I put off the thought of practice or actual studying. This year, I've decided I'll study for both and see if I get a better feel for which path I want to pursue.
- Lose weight and get in better shape
- My health and fitness level took a huge decline the past few years. It began with me drinking more often and exercising less. Then I quit drinking as much and was eating more. Last summer I had to get fitted for a suit and found that I had grown two pants sizes. That was the point where I realized that I had to get my ass in gear. I've started (and stopped) a few different regimens since then, but that was 2010. This new year should have a new, healthier me.
- Focus more on learning French
- Clicking on the link above will take you the first post I made about learning French. I was so excited about learning French and was running through the lessons. Then, it got harder. And I found I wasn't having the same level of success that I first experienced. So, I quit. Well, I didn't really quit, but I just wasn't trying. But, there's no reason for me to give up. I knew it was going to be hard. I'm tired of starting things and not finishing them. Learning French is something I'm going to do, dammit.
- Visit another country
- This became a goal of mine during my final semester of school. For some reason I never had any interest in going anywhere until it was almost too late. So after I graduated, I started looking at where I could go. A friend of mine suggested Brazil and sold me on the idea. I went and got my passport (which I hadn't had before) and was just about to buy a ticket. Then I realized that if I bought a ticket, I wouldn't be able to pay any bills or rent when I came back. Unfortunately, I went with responsibility instead of the travel decision. I regretted that choice for the rest of 2010. But, new year means new opportunity. I will travel to another country this year! (Probably Brazil, though I'm not ruling out Canada, France, the UK, Australia, or Ireland.) And when I do, this blog will be the place to see pictures of my trip.
- Write more ficition
- I took fiction writing classes in school and found myself really enjoying the whole process. I enjoyed it to the point of talking myself into wanting to write a book. I think I have a book in me, but if don't get to that this year, I do have more short stories in me. I want to write more. I've always felt that having a creative outlet is good for the soul. During 2010 I had every intention of writing and didn't get it done often enough. As I've said, though, this is a new year. It's possible I'll put up short pieces or selections of my writing. No promises though.
- Update "Rename Earth" more often
- This blog started with no real intentions other than I wanted to have a reason to keep writing after I graduated from school. However, I found that that made it too easy for me to ignore it. So, in order to better satisfy my goal of writing more, I've decided to set aside time specifically for this blog and it's followers (all five of you). The blog will likely continue in the same vein that has been established (movies, books, sports, politics, learning French, and other musings) and it should also have updates on everything else I'm planning to do.
Check back often for updates. Also, become a fan on Facebook or follow Rename Earth on Twitter.